Education Policy

|
Each time you step into a new module its always something different. However, it seems like every semester, schools always manage to stuff some shitty modules in for god-knows what reasons.

Enter news-writing.

Let's be clear. I'm quite ok with writing, in fact can consider to like it. Maybe sometimes its the lecturers that play determinant in your likings for the module. Or maybe its the current topic the module is on, leads writing just sounds plain nonsense to me.

A lead is supposed to be something that introduces the story, and the subject of lead writing is supposed to function as a springboard to catapult your story in a logical, coherent and interesting manner. While lecturers say 90% of the time is spent on a lead, reporters at SPH probably will tell you thats something that comes out of a bull's anus. They do their leads in like... 5 seconds?

The purpose of learning this specific style of lead is, according to them, internationally recognized standard, but if you ask me the only place I see it in is Straits Times. Seems like different papers have different writing styles, and this module is a express-pass to join SPH.

I think its time someone re-looked at the curriculum.

There's something I forgot to mention in the last post when she was mentioned. Besides telling us the golden truth about clouds, she introduced herself with the following, verbatim. ( Butterfly style, credit given )

" I'm well-known for being merciful "

For someone teaching others to write leads, I don't think this is a very good one either. Who the hell introduces themselves with that statement? Is it me, or are a few of you getting the "Guan Yin Ma" image in your head already? I somehow get general consensus that we'll be begging for mercy so perhaps she think it might be better to set things straight.

Actually, many other modules are outdated and usually do not bear much resemblance to the modern industry standard. There is actually a difference in theory and when you start work there. If practical-based learning is what is encouraged, "Sai-Kang", "Office Politics" & "Horse Fart" should make up 25 credit each for they are far more important then any other module.

There is reason to believe the only reason why schools are setup is to keep people out of jail, and some get the privilege free to encourage prompt participation. ( Brian, stop smiling as you read this )

If I had it my way, I'd revoke it back to the shifu-tudi style. Some people leave schools with degrees as ignorant as when they went it, and some modules exist just so that the central air-con does not go to waste.

Not that I have anything against the lecturer, it just happens to be one of a few modules where you listen just so that you will pass.

There is of course a decent probability one of my lecturers is reading this by now, so perhaps my GPA this sem will be down by at least 0.5

On a much happier note, today saw 3 hours spent mahjong-ing with jerome. I dont think I have to elaborate further why its a happy note. When I get elected government, I will make it a public holiday.

0 comments: