Mistake not, dependency for love

|
I must admit I never thought this day would come.. a day where I find blogging to become more of a responsibility then an avenue of expression. This comes relatively quickly my change of perception that a blog should be a channel to document thoughts and perceptions in my passage of adolescence, more than it should be a journal of my daily activities.

Perhaps it is my rising expectations that events become less blog-worthy. Or that most social events were simply too uneventful. Nevertheless, I've finally chanced upon an opportunity to resurrect my blog.

Of course, the caveat would be some of you will need a dictionary to read this post.

I caution another would be it is rather depressing; like a sucker-punch to your book of ethics.

Your morals will be challenged. You have been warned.




The above is a comic strip; which jeremy shamelessly demands I credit him for the discovery. Google xkcd if this is your kind of humor.

Not just like any stickman humor, this brings an appalling question to mind: Do we mistake dependency for love?

Obviously, the natural answer would be "no". However, I beseech you to cast aside your prejudice and explore the subject further. It may prove to be a very valuable lesson for some of you.

This mistake of dependency for love somewhat undermines fairy-tales we commonly see in movies.

Guy likes Girl.
Girl dosen't know
Guy waits and waits
One day Guy leaves country
Girl realises his absence
Girl thinks she loves guy
Blah blah blah
*Insert corny plot here*

Its a clear example here of a case of dependency more than love. A situation where prolonged presence creates a dependency; and the sudden absence forces the realization of the dependency.

The question is posed once again: Is this love?

Is the longing for someone in his/her absence a symptom of love? If the answer is no; then it renders all movies with "The-one-you-are-looking-for-is-all-along-beside-you" plot a lie. That it is but a sad case where dependency is mistaken for love.

If your answer is yes? Then you will question yourself what it means by "love-at-first-sight". Without spending time, there will be no dependency. An without such a dependency, the evaluation of another is prematurely by appearance. Isn't this then a confusion with something commonly mistaken for love? - Lust?

For the reasons that we do not want to venture into another subject matter; lets re-focus our priorities to the stigma of equating dependency for love.

By now, I assume you concur with me that dependency, although a subset of love, does not equate the full perimeter of love and hence draws a clear distinction from it.

If so, drawing inferences from the comic strip; the intended creation of time spent together by two people is, abstractly, creating dependency.

I guess my lesson here today is about learning where to draw the line. So, is YOUR relationship love? or is it dependency?

PS: You do realise this, although unethical, is a devilishly good way of pursuing a relationship? Girls beware =O

0 comments: